Bringing beauty, comfort and joy into your home. These three little adjectives have powerful connotations when applied to your home.
And, while they may not be on Maslow’s Hierarchy of Need’s, they will allow you to thrive at home and in life in general, rather than merely struggling to get by.
6 Steps to Bringing Beauty, Comfort and Joy into Your Home
- Assess what you love about your home’s style and what you don’t love.
- Identify your style preferences; lifestyle; short- and long-term dreams and any unique needs you have.
- Determine how your home is currently functioning and not functioning for you.
- Devise a decorating, remodeling or building plan for the look you want and the lifestyle you lead.
- Choose colors and textures that appeal to all your senses.
- Create one ideal floor plan or furniture layout. When done correctly this one thing will enhance your sense of stability and security.
What Beauty, Comfort and Joy Looks Like in the Home
To help get you started, this is what beauty, comfort and joy looks like in my own home.
I love my home. I love relaxing there; working there; taking excellent care of myself there. Practicing Yoga in the den. Making my big raw salads and fresh green juice every day. Riding my stay-bike. Dancing barefooted on my rebounder to my favorite podcasts or music. My home supports all of my endeavors from building my businesses, to coaching my design client’s, to entertaining family and friends.
I’ve decorated it with a mixture of heirlooms and many new pieces and sentimental things collected from loved ones and extensive travels. There is original art, plants and professional photography of my family lining the hallway, in what I affectionately call my Rogues’ Gallery.
There are several wonderful libraries of hard bound books we’ve collected over many decades. The colors and textures are so soothing to my arthritis. And the large-scale pieces like the big hutch in the formal living room and the breakfront in the dining area add anchoring effects or the term I coined called Perceived Stability to my senses which can get a little frazzled with stress, chronic pain or arthritis.
And lastly, the various kitchen tools and appliances I need to stay healthy including my Breville juicer, Cuisinart and my pretty red VitaMix blender.
Sheila Bouttier above.
I also love the way my home runs so smoothly and allows me to fit so much more joy and work into my days. I couldn’t accomplish nearly as much in a messy home or in a home without systems. My home has always been a great source of joy and stability.
Living in a home that’s not only beautiful, but one that supports you has become increasingly important to your physical health, your relationships and your emotional stability.
Why Your Home is so Important to Your Health and Wellness
Home is where you:
- practice your most consistent wellness practices occur.
- have control over what foods and tempting treats you keep on hand.
- prepare healthy meals and connect with loved ones.
- manage your finances, investments and even your business much of the time.
- don’t have to fix your hair or drive somewhere to workout.
- go to rejuvenate and reconnect with yourself.
Every one of these is huge, but any change, even if it’s an improvement requires an opening of the mind to new ways. So, though status quo may feel safer to you right now, committing to a better lifestyle at home will serve you in most if not all of the many facets in your life.
Ideas for Bringing Beauty, Comfort and Joy into Your Own Home
- Potted Indoor Plants
- Fresh Cut Greenery from the Garden
- Fresh Flowers
- Faux Greenery/Topiary/Flowers
- Throw Pillows
- Throws/Lap Blankets
- Favorite Things/Heirlooms
- Mementos from Mate/Family/Travels
- Framed Pictures/Portraits
- Candles/Scented Soy/Plain White
- Building a Morning/Evening Fire
- Calming/Energizing Music
- Clean/Clutter Free Home
- Investing in Artwork
- Home Design or Renovation
- Home Organization
If your home isn’t supporting you the way it is, are you ready for a change? Get some help via my complimentary premier design and wellness download, The Wellness Home and learn my 5 simple steps to a beautiful, restful interior for women who value their home and wellness. It’s the prettiest little book and a quick read with super easy design solutions that help you lead a beautiful, healthier lifestyle at home. Get yourself some help post haste!
That’s it for today. Thank you for stopping by! Shiree’
For my at-a-glance must have’s for giving your home a wellness makeover, check out my “Design Help, Wellness and a Little Woo Woo”!